Coachella Day 2 Artists You Can’t Miss
The Saturday lineup for this year’s Coachella features legendary hard rock band Guns N’ Roses in a long awaited reunion. They will be performing the same day as the up-and-coming Scottish “synth-pop” band, Chvrches (pronounced “churches”) and infamous rapper Ice Cube. The lineup features a wide variety of artists from old-school rock to new school electronic music. The Saturday lineup this year is packed with talent. Chvrches is well known in Europe, but they have become very popular recently with hit songs frequently playing on local radio stations. Their songs were also featured in Grey’s Anatomy and the popular video game, FIFA.
The headliners obviously have the biggest following and generate the most hype, but what about the amazing artists that might go overlooked? Here are five artists performing on both Saturdays at Coachella that you should not miss:
5) Run the Jewels: The hip hop group features two rappers: EI-P and Killer Mike. They have been publicly in the music industry since 2013 releasing their debut album, Run the Jewels in 2013 and their follow-up album, Run the Jewels 2 in 2014. Both albums were critically acclaimed and available for free downloads. Killer Mike is well known as a rapper and is frequently involved in the community and in politics. He is good friends with presidential candidate, Bernie Sanders, and he has spoken at political rallies for the politician. This rap group has strong appeal for fans of hip hop and people looking for a great show. They will undoubtedly give an exciting performance at Coachella.
4) Disclosure: They are an English electronic music duo. The two brothers, Howard and Guy Lawrence, are from England and they have become a staple in UK House music. They have been nominated for Best Dance/Electronic Album at the Grammy Awards in 2014 and 2016 for their first two albums. They frequently remix songs from famous artists and feature vocals from talented artists like Sam Smith and Jessie Ware.
3) Silversun Pickups: An alternative rock band from Los Angeles, they have been around for over a decade, but they have been consistently good creating a unique sound that listeners love. They have released four studio albums and all of them have reached top five on the U.S. indie charts. The Silversun Pickups have a niche following, but their music is easy listening and they put on a great show!
2) James Bay: He is a 25 year old indie rock singer songwriter from England. His music career started in 2013, but he has managed to make a huge name for himself in a very short amount of time. His single, “Hold Back the River”, has been certified platinum. He has several popular songs and one studio album that was released in 2015. At the 2016 Brit Awards he received the award for the Best British Male Solo Artist and he received three nominations at the 2016 Grammy Awards. Bay was discovered after a fan uploaded a video of him performing in London. He has sold out UK tours, performed with Justin Bieber, created number one songs, and soared to the top of his genre in a little over two years. Make sure to see him perform.
1) Vince Staples: He is a 22 year old hip hop artist from Long Beach, California. He was chosen as part of the XXL Magazine’s 2015 Freshman Class, which highlights new talented rappers. In short time he has made a significant impact on hip hop culture. Staples boasts an intense flow with lyrics and metaphors that blow listeners away. He is a conscious rapper that tends to rap about his personal experiences growing up, and he is not afraid to speak his mind. His debut album titled, Summertime 06′ , was released on June 30, 2015, and it was critically acclaimed receiving several top 5 album rankings from credible sites and magazines. Pitchfork gave Summertime 06′ the 4th best album of 2015 out of any genre. For the most part, he is under the radar, but he will soon be noticed globally for the talent that he possesses. He is the next big rap star and he leaves audiences in awe after every live performance. If you are a fan of rap or just a fan of good music, make it a point to see his performance at Coachella.
Full Lineup for Saturday April 16 and April 23, 2016
Algiers: Experimental rock Alunageorge: Synth pop Alvvays: Indie pop Amine Edge & Dance: DJ Badbadnotgood: Post-bop Bat for Lashes: Indie pop Chronixx: Reggae Chvrches: Synth pop Cloves: Singer Courtney Barnett: Indie rock Deerhunter: Despacio: Disclosure: DJ Koze: Dmas: Dubfire: Ex Hex: Gary Clark Jr: Gogo Penguin: Grimes: Guns N’ Roses: Hard Rock Halsey: Ice Cube: Hip Hop James Bay: Singer/Indie Rock Justin Martin: DJ Lost Frequencies: DJ Lush: Alt rock Mano Le Tough: DJ Matoma: DJ Matthew Dear: DJ Moon Taxi: Indie rock Mr. Carmack: Trap Nina Kraviz: DJ Phasas: Indie pop Protoje: Reggae Rufus Du Sol: Dance Rhye: R&B Rl Grime: Trap/Electronic Run the Jewels: Hip Hop Shamir: Singer/electronic Silversun Pickups: Alt Rock Snails: DJ Sophie: Electronic/pop Strangers You Know: Synth pop SZA: R&B/Soul/hip hop The Arcs: Garage rock The Black Madonna: Dance The Damned: Punk rock The Dead Ships: Indie rock Unknown Mortal Orchestra: Psychedelic rock Vanic: Dance Vince Staples: Hip Hop Zedd: Electro house Zella Day: Indie pop Zhu: Electronic